BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cheap and easy photo editing!

I'm a heavy editor. I love to bump up the contrast, experiment with the colors, and add cool filters to my photos. But it's hard to find good editing programs that are free and easy to understand. After trying several, I've finally found the ones that work for me. Hopefully they can work for you too!



Picnik is an free editing program that is accessible on the internet. This means that there's no downloads and you can edit your photos anywhere and anytime. It's extremely easy to use and the layout is fun and interesting to look at. There are plenty of available effects and options you can use to edit your photos. If you get creative and trying layering different effects on each other, you can have yourself a real masterpiece. There's an option to upgrade to premium, which costs $2.08 bucks a month. I strongly recommend this if you do a lot of editing. The touch up suite that comes along with the upgrade is absolutely great; the airbrushing is amazing! Picnik is the most fun and easiest to understand in my opinion, which makes it the best option for me.


Photoscape is a lot less easy to understand compared to Picnik, but is really useful and has some things that Picnik is definitely lacking. Photoscape's biggest advantage, in my opinion, is the filters that you can apply to your photo. It has a good (if not small) set of antique photo filters and other things such as Film effects. It doesn't have nearly the wide range of options as Picnik does, but it's a effective and good for simple photo editing. However, it does require downloading.

3. GIMP

GIMP is truly a great program. In fact, it's almost a little too good to be free. But thankfully, it is free! GIMP is great for very artsy editing and photo manipulation; even digital drawings, if you have access to a drawing tablet. You can do a lot more with this than the other two, but it's painfully confusing. I was very overwhelmed at first and it took me a very long time to figure out, unlike Photoscape. But there's definitely a reward at the end of the road, once you've got it all figured out. GIMP also requires download, but hey. It's free!


It all really depends on what kind of photography/editing you do that will determine which one of these programs is best for you. Try them all out and see what you think of them! And I sincerely hope I helped you some with your photo editing needs!

-Holly

1 comments:

Sadhana. said...

Thanks for recommendations. I'm always looking for fun and *free* softwares myself, I was aware of picnik, but I'm downloading photoscape now. *Hopes it's worth it*